Vaping with Nicotine Salts: All Your Questions Answered
Nicotine salts are quickly becoming the rising star of the vaping world. Given their ability to deliver a smoother tha hit, their growing popularity is hardly surprising. Despite the unique advantages of nicotine salts, there is a lot of misinformation going around lately. The mass hysteria over vaping can make it extremely difficult for beginners to make sense of it all and come to an informed conclusion. While it’s true that nicotine salts aren’t for everyone, there are plenty of reasons why they can be right for some vape users.To help you navigate the muddy waters of nicotine salts, we’ve put together a list of FAQs that will hopefully clear up any confusion on the matter. Whether you’re searching for the best nic salts for your Mi-Pod or want to learn more about nic salts in general, you’ve come to the right place.
Q.What are nicotine salts?
To understand nicotine salts, you first need to understand freebase nicotine. Commonly found in most E-Liquids today, freebase nicotine is extracted from tobacco leaves and is considered the purest form of nicotine. Without being altered chemically, freebase nicotine can only be tolerated at low strengths. This is because it can be heated and absorbed much faster into your lungs and brains.For this reason, many people who are used to seeing low doses of freebase nicotine quickly become alarmed when they see the high concentration of nicotine in nic salts. How can someone withstand such a high strength without the harshness?The answer to that is benzoic acid. Nicotine salts are created by combining nicotine in its purest form with an organic acid such as benzoic acid, although, other organic compounds may be used as well. This unique combination sets off a chemical reaction that creates the salts.
This combination is also found in cigarettes, whereas freebase nicotine is more common in tobacco and cigars. This provides users with a similar kick to cigarette smokers, delivering a satisfyingly smooth vaping experience.
Q.Why not just smoke a cigarette?
Some people may wonder what the point of nic salts is if they deliver the same nicotine kick as traditional cigarettes. In fact, there are a few advantages to using nic salts in e-Liquid form.First, you typically consume fewer toxic chemicals by vaping nic salts than you do by smoking a cigarette. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website admits that while neither option is ideal, e-cigarettes are generally considered safer than traditional cigarettes. Plus, there are no smelly clothes or withering comments from passerby to deal with when vaping.Secondly, salt-nicotine e-Liquids come in 18-50 mg/mL strengths, delivering the same nicotine concentration at a fraction of the cost. If you’re tired of spending around $15 on a single pack of cigarettes, nicotine salts can save you a small fortune.
Q.WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF NIC SALTS?
You now know that salt nics can help you stop smoking and save you a lot of money. However, let’s dive into some additional advantages to nicotine salts:
- Smoother Vape Experience—Inhalation of nic salts is easier because the hit is much smoother compared to freebase nicotine.
- Better Flavor—Many vapers also prefer nic salts because they don’t affect the e-Liquid flavor as much as freebase. This is partly due to their low concentration.
- Caters to MTL Vapers—MTL, or mouth to lung, refers to a vape hit that allows you to collect the vapor inside your mouth for a brief moment before inhaling it into your lungs. Nicotine salts are perfect for MTL vapers because they don’t produce big clouds of vapor, allowing them to get the hit they crave in smaller, more concentrated doses.
- Stable Form of Nicotine—Nicotine salts are more stable than freebase nicotine, allowing them to last longer in the bottle. In other words, you don’t need to worry about your liquid color changing as fast. However, do note that the color is different to begin with due to its chemical properties.
- Beginner-friendly—If you’re new to the world of vaping, nicotine salts are super simple. They’re often designed for use with low power devices that are usually sleek, compact and easy to use, making them perfect for taking on vacations or for a fun night out.
- Low Profile—If you want to fly under the radar with your vaping, nicotine salts are ideal because they don’t produce big plumes of vapor or require big, clunky-looking devices. You can slide your compact vaping device into your pocket or purse, and you won’t smell like an ashtray.
Q.WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF NIC SALTS?
Because we all have different vaping preferences, nic salts aren’t a good option for every vape enthusiast. Here are some reasons why you may want to pass on nic salts:
- Still Relatively New—Although nicotine salts aren’t new, nic salts in e-Liquid form are just starting to gain steam. As a result, there aren’t as many products and flavors that cater to this burgeoning market.
- Not for Cloud Chasers-If you want to blow massive clouds, nicotine salts may not be for you. For blowing thick plumes and working on your vape tricks, we recommend an e-Liquid containing a higher concentration of vegetable glycerin, which creates the densest clouds.
- Not for Vapers Who Enjoy Complexity—Some experienced vapers take pride in the complexity of their vaping devices and enjoy rebuilding them to suit their unique preferences. However, nic salts aren’t made for devices that are designed to be taken apart and fiddled around with.
- Limited to Low Wattage Devices—Unlike traditional e-Liquids, nic salts are still currently limited to small, low output devices. If you have a large vaping device, you’ll need to purchase a more compact vape kit to take advantage of nic salts. But hey, small isn’t always a bad thing!
Q.WHAT YOU NEED TO START VAPING NICOTINE SALTS.
For vaping nicotine salts, you’ll need a pod system with a low wattage. We strongly recommend that you don’t use nic salts in a sub-ohm device, as this could make you very sick. However, you technically could get away with a low concentration of nicotine salt (15 mg) with a higher-powered device, depending on your tolerance level.
Pod systems work best with nic salts and are super easy to fill and refill. For a great salt nicotine device, check out Smoking Vapor’s Mi-Pod. Unlike other portable vaping devices, the Mi-One has a custom-built 950mAh battery that promises a longer-lasting vaping experience. Besides, it doesn’t get more stylish and convenient than a Mi-Pod with a trendy chain. Of course, you’ll also need nicotine salt flavors. Keep reading to find out the best nicotine salt flavors that are driving vape enthusiasts wild.
Q.WHICH FLAVORS AND BRANDS ARE MOST POPULAR?
Understandably, many first-time customers want to know which flavors and brands will give them the best possible vaping experience. Although everyone’s vaping experience is different, here are the brands and salt nic juice flavors we recommend for beginning vapers:
- Mi-Salt E-Liquids—What’s the perfect juice for your Mi-Pod kit? Smoking Vapor’s premium line of Mi-Salt Liquids, of course! Although we might be biased in recommending these, we guarantee that our six Mi-Salt flavors will deliver your most satisfying vape yet. Try the Mango or Pomelo first for a tantalizingly juicy flavor.
- I Love Salts—If you’re a fan of tobacco flavor, you must try I Love Salts Sweet Tobacco. A favorite in the vaping industry, this deliciously unique flavor combines rich tobacco with a hint of sweet sugar cane for an amazing puff.
- V-God SaltNic—Vape God is one of the hottest e-juice makers on the market. This time, they’re bringing a super smooth hit with fresh watermelon flavor with the V-God SaltNic Luscious. The second this juicy flavor hits your mouth, you’ll instantly taste the watermelon, followed closely by melon undertones.
Q.WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NICOTINE SALTS?
Despite being user-friendly for beginners, there are still some important things to know before you start vaping nicotine salts. Here is some additional information regarding nic salts that you may want to keep in mind:
- Nicotine Salts Aren’t More or Less Safe—The only difference between nicotine salts and freebase nicotine is the added benzoic acid to nic salts. Apart from possible irritation to your lungs and throat, benzoic acid shouldn’t have any effect on the safety of nicotine salts. Keep in mind that any product containing nicotine will have its risks, but nicotine salt e-Liquid is still considered generally safer than cigarettes.
- Nicotine Salts Can Be Potentially More Addictive—However, it is worth noting that nicotine salts deliver a higher concentration of nicotine, thus, making them potentially more addictive. Most people who use nic salts don’t care about this, given that their alternative is smoking cigarettes with deadly carcinogens.
- Talk to a Vape Manufacturer—If you’re just starting your vape journey, we encourage you to consult a vape expert first. While reports of the dangers surrounding nicotine poisoning are vastly overblown, you could end up doing too much in one hit. This can result in headaches, nausea and other not-so-pleasant symptoms. To ensure that your vape experience is positive, be sure to talk with experienced vape professionals.
Q.CAN I USE NIC SALTS IN MY DIY E-LIQUID?
For the DIY vape enthusiast, the idea of using nic salts in their DIY e-liquid may seem appealing. However, it’s easy to end up with awful-tasting vape juice if you don’t know what you’re doing.
If you’re dead set on using nic salts in your own e-liquid, you need to take a few safety precautions:
- Wear Protective Gear—It’s recommended that you wear protective goggles and gloves when handling nicotine. Nicotine spills aren’t uncommon and can cause adverse health effects if it comes into direct contact with the skin.
- Keep Nicotine Away from Kids and Pets—Children and pets love getting into things they aren’t supposed to. Keep your nicotine well out of their reach and clean up any spills immediately to reduce their risk, as well as yours.
- Purchase Nic Salts from a Trusted Source—Purchase high-quality nic salts from a trusted manufacturer. The higher the quality, the better your vaping experience will be.
- Get the Right Ratio—For nic salts, the best PG/VG ratio is generally 50/50. If your hit is still too sharp, you can always add slightly more VG for a smoother vaping experience.
The explosive growth of nicotine salts in recent months has naturally led to a lot of questions about their usage. Are they safe? Do nic salts really deliver a smoother hit? Hopefully, we’ve answered your most pressing questions regarding nic salts in this post. But if we didn’t manage to answer your specific question, leave a comment below or get in touch with us! We’re more than happy to help you choose nicotine salts or find the right pod system for your specific vaping needs.
I have high blood pressure. Do Nicotine salts effect in raising blood pressure?
Thanks for Sharing useful insights.
I just have a quick question if you could please email me back with an answer that would be awesome. So I got a vape(Argus voodoo) for Christmas because I’ve been wanting to blow big ass clouds it’s a 40w max and I have nic salt with it because I normally smoke cigarettes. Is there any nic salt vape juice I can use in my vape to blow big clouds? Or can I put regular vape juice without nicotine in it so I can blow big clouds or no?
Very informative! You answered all my questions!
I purchased a flavoured nic salt. What still confuses me is whether or not I need to mix it with a flavour, or can it be vaped on its own? It’s 35mg. Safe to say my maths skills are lacking when it comes to vaping!